Adventures in Self-Publishing: The Kindle Edition
On a completely different tangent than my usual posts, I figured I would relate the following mishap I had.
As most of you know, I self-published my book Drasmyr through Smashwords. They distribute ebooks to Barnes and Noble, Apple, Kobi, and elsewhere. They are currently working out a deal to distribute to Amazon. However, at the moment, my ebook is not available on Amazon. One of the comments on this site (I’ve looked for it, but I couldn’t find it to give proper mention) wondered why I didn’t publish with Kindle Direct. I guess my real answer is that I’ve got the business-sense of a stone. Actually, I thought there might be copyright issues if I published at both Smashwords and Amazon. Smashwords says there isn’t. I’m going to do the research on Amazon to find out if they agree. Then, I’m going to publish on Amazon.
Which brings me to my little incident.
Yesterday, I was set to work on getting my book published on Amazon. First thing to do is to get it in the right format so it uploads properly to the kindle. No problem, or so I thought. I’m looking through the information Amazon has; they’ve got everything condensed in a short book on the topic, “Building Your Ebook for the Kindle” or something like that. And it’s free. Great, I’ll just download that. For some reason or other it doesn’t want to download into my phone. Okay, fine, I’ll do it the roundabout way. I download the Kindle for the PC to my PC—much like its name implies, that is just kindle software that works on your PC. Then I download the ebook to the Kindle for the PC on my PC. So far, so good. Next, I hook up my phone to my PC via USB cable. I was thinking I could just copy it over like I had done with every book I had gotten through Smashwords. No dice. It doesn’t work. Hmmm. Let’s try the Sync function. Big Mistake. The stupid software “erased” my access to every non-Amazon book on my phone. So, basically, my phone went from storing 11 books on it, to storing 7. I lost four books. But not really. I could access them on my phone via my computer, but not via the phone. So, I copied them into the Kindle on PC. For some inexplicable reason, this actually worked. Then, I started the gruesome, and I mean gruesome, process of getting the books from my PC onto my phone.
Four and a half hours and five tech support conversations later, I finally did it. And I learned something in the process: web pages are a big pain in the tuckus to navigate through. There is so much information on every page of a big site like Amazon, it’s enough to drive you mad. At one point, I had like five different Amazon pages open on my computer, each one containing some tiny, but vital clue to the problem. Those web pages are not user-friendly and they are becoming less-so by the minute. First, Amazon and most other big sites hide their contact information because they want you to use their FAQ pages in lieu of human-to-human help—so you don’t waste their time with easily solvable problems. Well, my time is valuable too, you know, and I don’t like wading through page after page of FAQ support, looking for the correct question. They have search algorithms to find the question for you, but it didn’t work very well in my case. I had to contact them. So I did. Several times. The first guy tried a couple things, but they didn’t work. So, he told me to email the files to the special kindle e-mail address. Tried that. Managed to get my books uploaded to my Amazon account, but couldn’t get it from there to my phone. So, at this point, I have the books at every conceivable location except where I want them! Called back. This time, they tried to refer me back to Smashwords and said it was their problem, because that’s where I got the books from. I went to Smashwords sent them an e-mail, but their help desk was backlogged for the next 10 days. Yes, 10 days. Anyway, eventually, after a couple more calls to Amazon’s tech support, I finally got the books downloaded to my phone. I was elated when it finally happened. Could have kissed the guy through the phone. Well, maybe not.
Anyway, that’s my story. At least they gave me a blog post. J There is one final point to stress, though. According to Amazon, the latest version of kindle does not allow you to copy files from your computer to your kindle app or device. That was the method that Smashwords suggested. Now, it doesn’t work. I e-mailed Smashwords to let them know, but that puts a pretty big snag in the Smashwords business model. At least for now; I assume they’ll figure something out.